Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sometimes as a Parent...

...you just have to put your foot down.

The other day during dinner, Hally was being difficult and didn't want to eat her food, as usual. You can try any kind of bribery with this kid and if she doesn't want to do it, she won't. Plain and simple. She wasn't about to have a bite of her miniature sized sloppy joe. She told me that she hates it when I make yucky dinner. We told her she would have to go to bed if she didn't eat. She knows we're serious too. That didn't make her eat her dinner. The hungry people in Haiti that she prays for everyday didn't make her eat her dinner either. Then I said I would throw away her Easter Basket, CANDY included. She said, "Okay." So Tim put her Easter Basket in the the garbage and headed out to the dumpster. (So really he just set the trash outside of the door.) Her reaction to throwing her EASTER BASKET IN THE DUMPSTER? NOTHING!!!! She could have cared less as long as she didn't have to eat her dinner. The problem is, she really NEEDS to eat her dinner! SERIOUSLY! She's tiny and she might just blow away in one of these wind storms we've been having!!! I finally talked her into having ONE BITE! (After scraping most of the meat off.) This is her reaction. WOW. I really must be a bad cook.

After a long, calm, talk, she finally had 3 bites of meatless sloppy joe.

And most of her pasta salad.

Stubborn but so dang cute!

P.S. She did get her Easter Basket back the next day. We're not THAT mean. Plus, all that candy cost a lot of $$$, so I'm not just going to throw it away.

9 comments:

Tiff said...

Super funny and super cute!

The Sutherland Family said...

Oh my gosh, I feel your pain. Alli has not been eating her dinner recently either- and she used to be a great eater! What is up with that? She will only eat certain things. She is cute, i love her eyes and her cute cowgirl boots!

Tristan said...

Hally is so cute! You are not a bad cook. Her taste buds just have not grown up yet! :)

There are days I wonder why I spend so much time cooking nice meals when my kids (okay mostly Libby) would rather just have a yogurt or toast. Maybe one day they will appreciate mom's home cooked meals!

Jenny Sue said...

She's so cute Steff!! Though I for one have always thought you were just the meanest mom for making your kids EAT. I mean really, is eating really that important? :P

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hear ya about putting your foot down. It's very difficult when they are so dang cute. But most of the time, I forget about their cuteness, being their parent and all when they won't listen! Catherine & Charlotte take turns not wanting to eat. It's frustrating!

Liz said...

Every time I make chicken (which is several times a week), we go through the same thing with Daphne. She knows if she doesn't eat at least 5 bites cause she's 5 now, she gets nothing until breakfast. There have been several times she went to bed hungry. Oh well! She ate a good breakfast though... :) Love being the mean mom. :P At least I'm not the only one.

Boshell Family said...

Hey I have one of those kids too. Some days it's about surviving!

~~Heidi~~ said...

OH sad, i hate it when it comes to dinner, Ty lately has taken one bite, and says I'm full! But the straight to bed thing works for him! Sorry thats so hard.

She is sure Dang cute!

Desiree said...

You make me smile.