Wednesday, November 12, 2008

HELP!

I need your help. This Sunday I have to speak in church and honestly, I haven't a clue how to do it. I haven't spoken in church since I was in young women's nearly 10 years ago. My topic is Mosiah 18, it's on baptism, so if you have any pointers or ideas, please, please let me know. How do you start a talk? How do you make it interesting? Any thoughts on the covenants you made when you were baptized? Any cool baptism stories? Better yet, does anyone just want to write my talk for me? (Price will be negotiated.):) I know there are a lot of professional, amazing speakers out there.... you know who you are.... come on, let me in on the secret to delivering a wonderful talk!!

10 comments:

Ja and Becky said...

try going to lds.org-- there's a help section there for giving talks, also I think personal stories always add to talks and make them more interesting! Good Luck!

Fife Fam said...

mormonshare.com is good too, I use it for YW all the time. If you want need help with the structure of a talk, call me and I can help..... this is my communications major shining through ;) I would love to help you!

janaeg said...

I second the others comments and was just going to say you can do a search for talks on the assigned subject at lds.org and then read some of them for content and ideas. I usually use both personal stories either of my own or someone I may know and then quotes information from scriptures and general authorities talks.

Brittney said...

I will totally write a talk for you, make me an offer!
Remember, I am a paid writer now!!!!

Cheyenne said...

Hey Steff! I'll give you my secret combination for a good talk:
1. Intro--introduce at least three points of baptism, as found in Mosiah...it would be really nice if you started with a personal story (your own bap?)
2. Go over point one and reinforce it with prophet quotes
3. Point two...the same...
4. Point three...the same...
5. Conclude: reiterate the three points and bear your testimony about them. Sprinkle in meaningful stories, and you've got a super great talk! Good luck!

Some good points could be (as I remember the chapter): the covenants you make, the way you're baptized, the way you function in the church afterwards (I think he commands them to teach and preach and sets forth a lay ministry). Hope that helps you! Just speak from the heart, and no matter what you say, it will be good. I would imagine that you have a sweet memory of your baptism and can appreciate the neccesity of it and the care in choosing someone to perform the ordinance. I've given a dozen different lessons and talks on this, so if you need resources, I can tell you where to look!

NATE, SARAH, AND JORDAN said...

haha Steff you are adorable. I would have to agree with aubrey. That is exactly how I do my talks and I usually go to lds.org and get a talk off there and use a lot of what they say in my own words and put in personal stories. Good LUCK!

Jen said...

I feel for ya ...I have to teach Relief Society in Jan and I'm scaired to death!!!!! And I have to pick my own topic what the crap do I do ? I hat speaking in front of people..... Good luck !!

dawn spencer said...

Hi steffani, Just in case your wondin' I'm Kelly's sister! I feel your pain. I just talked in church last sunday, glad it's over for know but every time we move we get asked to talk and let me just say we move alot. I found the best thing for me is don't wait to start garthing info and the more the better, that way you can go through it and find the best stuff. Easier said than done, but try not to be nervous. Just pretend that your talking to your family and remember that your sharing one of gods greatest gifts with them and let the spirit guide you and you'll do great. I love your blog!! your kids are stinkin' cute do you care if I add you to my list? check us out (if you haven't already) @ dandjspencer.blogspot.com
C-ya Dawn!!!

Annie said...

I always start my talk by saying that whenever I talk my mouth gets really dry and my feet get really sweaty; so if you see me put my foot in my mouth I am just getting a drink. Okay just kidding, but it would definately get everyones attention...Right? Good luck I really am no good at that stuff

dalene said...

I bet you did great!