Monday, February 9, 2009

LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE

fI would like to introduce everyone whom reads this blog to an amazing person. His name is Chris Wightman. Chris is my cousin and he is one of the coolest people I've ever known. I could talk about Chris and his qualities for hours. Chris is a "doer". It seems like most people sit and think about what they could do in the world to make it a better place. To help someone else. Or to even strengthen themselves. But how many people actually DO those things they think about. I know that I am very rarely a "doer". Chris can and will do anything he sets his mind to and my friends, he has set out to do something pretty incredible.

~I love this picture because it's so Chris. He loves to the outdoors and he took me on a river rafting trip once, which was one of the coolest experiences of my life.~

Here is what Chris has to say:

"I’m not a hater. There are very, very few things in this world that I hate. There are a lot of things that annoy me, some things that I strongly dislike…but not many that I hate. Cancer is one of those things that I hate. I HATE cancer. I hate how many people it takes from this world. I hate how many people it has taken from my life. I hate how it goes about taking those people. I hate what it puts people through who survive it. I hate what it puts people through who do not survive it. I hate what it put my mom through. I hate that it took a friend and mentor from my family and friends. I hate that it took my mom’s brother, my uncle. I hate that it took two of my mom’s sister in laws, my aunts. I hate what it is currently putting my cousin, his wife and their kids through. I hate what it is putting another cousin through. I hate that today it is causing so much pain and fear for a very close friend and co-worker whose mother was recently diagnosed and starts chemotherapy next week. I hate that it took another friend and co-workers mother. I hate that it is indiscriminate in who it afflicts, in fact the people in my life who have had it are some of the most caring, giving, and courageous people I have ever known. I hate what it’s putting Elden, his wife and their children through. I hate what it puts friends and family of people who have it through. I hate the pain it’s caused in so many of my family, friends and co workers lives. Many times I don’t mind crying all that much, but right now I hate tharudt I’m crying, hard, because of cancer. I just hate it. "
I think all of us have had cancer affect our lives, whether it be a friend, family member or even ourselves. It is estimated that in the year 2009 alone, 12 million people worldwide will be diagnosed with cancer. We have come along way in trying to find a cure, but we have ALONG way to go. My dear cousin Chris is participating in the LIVESTRONG Challenge and has committed to raising $5,000. All the money will be donated to the Livestrong Foundation. In addition to raising this money, he has also committed to ride in the 100 mile Livestrong Challenge race on June 21st in Seattle. Yes, you read that correctly, 100 miles!!!!! Craziness!!!!

Chris, you're amazing! Thank you for doing this. Thank you for being a "doer". If we ourselves feel that we cannot be "doers", then lets at least help other people in this feat. So fellow bloggers, I am asking you to come one come all and help someone incredible in this good cause. Your donations do not have to be large, even a couple dollars will help. If you would like to donate to this amazing cause please click here. I have also included the link on the sidebar of this blog. Thank you.