I made this baby quilt for my friend that is going to have a baby. You have probably seen them before, they're called rag quilts. You sew the seams to the outside and then cut the seams so when you wash it, it becomes frayed.
(Click on the picture for a closer look.)
I had an idea of selling these on Etsy or something, so I need everyone's opinion. It measures 40"x 34"; it has two layers of flannel and a middle layer of batting; it cost about $20 (I used more expensive fabric) to make, although I think I could get the price down to maybe $10 or $15; and this is the kicker, it took me a long time to make it, I'm guessing maybe 6 or 7 hours spread out over a few days. I think I can get the time it took down, once I get making them. So, I guess I am left thinking, "Hmmmm. Is it worth my time?" With all the facts, how much do you think I could sell one for? Or how much would you buy one for? Let's say it costs me $15 to make and 5 hours to make it. If I sell it for $30 I will earn about $3/hr. I would have to sell 10 blankets at this rate to make $150! $30 does seem like a lot for a little blanket, but it's a really nice, homeade, soft and heavy blanket. If I hike the price up to $40 I would at least make $5/hr. and if I sold for $50 I don't think anyone would ever buy it, but at least I would make $7/hr. Most people would probably just decide to make it themselves. I am guessing it's probably not going to be worth my time.
I will have boy and girl colors and package them cute like this.
A closer look.

9 comments:
I wouldn't sell it for anything less than $40...and people will pay that. If you don't want to make them en masse, do a "make to order" thing. Then you just make them as people ask for them. They can pick fabrics, etc., and you can charge them based on what they want. It's an idea. You could also make them smaller (Olivia has one that is the size of a lap quilt and I loved it for when she was smaller and she still sleeps with it) or stock up on fabric at end-of-season or discontinued sales to increase your profit margin. No, we won't be at the reunion. I called mom before I bought the tickets to confirm the dates, but apparently she wasn't looking at the calendar. I'm extremely angry about it. We will, however, be there the week after. I'll email you sometime so we can plan a get-together (most likely at your mom's so I can see Darlene, too).
PS I think you could get away with even $60 for some of your blankets...
Thank you Cheyenne! That makes me feel better!!!
I agree with Cheyenne, maybe if you have a variety of prices & sizes too? I'd pay atleast $50 for a nice blankie. Especially the way you pakage it all purtty :) I've made one before & they do take a lot of time. People are willing to pay more for time than you thing. They want a nice homemade gift but don't have time to do it themselves so they pay for it. If you say how long it takes to make it, it justifies the price. I have a friend that crochettes baby blankets & she pairs them with a cute photo album (you can get them super cheap) and it makes a super nice shower gift.
...time than you think, not thing :)
I know, the time thing is a pain to figure out. But you do get faster the more you make. As for pricing, I went to etsy and just did a search for Rag Quilt to see what came up. There were all kinds of prices, most about $40-$60. That might give you some kind of idea. I usually get my fabric on sale, or use a 40% off coupon that I get in the mail. That way I never pay full price for the fabric, and I increase my profit margin. You can always put an ad on KSL and craigslist, and then do a made to order. Then you can decide if it's worth your time, and just do a trial run. Good luck!
Very cute blog Steffani! You are so talented at making those blankets! You have such a talent for style, your home is decorated so dang cute, your girls hair always looks so darling, you are just so creative!
I would post it up for 50 and see waht happens. Then go from there and see if in the end if it wsa worth your time.
I have no clue! You should make pettiskirts. Those are so cute and you could sell them for a lot.
Post a Comment