Wednesday, July 30, 2008

WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?

To many of you this is going to sound silly. When did people start using only one space after a period or a question mark in a sentence? Apparently it's been going on for a long time, but nobody told me. I have actually noticed this on many of your blogs and wondered about it. I have recently learned that that's what they're teaching in schools now, one space after a period. I guess I am out of the loop. It's a hard habit to break, changing two spaces to one space. Is anyone else in the dark on this or am I the only one?

12 comments:

The Felix Family said...

Now that you mention it, I think I do rememeber learning that in school, but I totally forgot about it. I will be self-conscious about it from now on.

Cheyenne said...

That's so funny! But true! I learned in my journalism classes at college. But I learned not to put a comma before "and" in a list my senior year of high school. But here's one for you, Steff. I think. You're. Awesome.

NATE, SARAH, AND JORDAN said...

Steff you're so cute. I guess I just started doing it because it felt better. I never really thought about it. I am glad it's the correct way. haha

Trish said...

I've never heard that. I still use two. Or if I don't, it's not on purpose! That's odd that they would switch it. Hmm. Good to know. I think I'll still use two though. :)

Diane said...

YES! My husband and I had this discussion a few years ago. I also use two and can't stop because it's just the way I learned. My husband seems to think we learned that way in school so our teachers had enough room to correct our mistakes. I don't know, I think he's wrong. LOL I"m going to have to stick to my two spaces. Oh well. We should start our own two space club.

Brittney said...

I did not know that it had gone down to just one space. Reguadless, I will continue to use two spaces, who cares if I'm wrong. It's proper grammer to me.

Summer said...

I had no clue it went to one space! I am sure I can't stop! I am too old to change!

Katie S said...

Here's what I remember learning - they are both correct. It's just personal preference. I don't think I even notice anymore what I do. Ok. I just counted. I do 2 spaces.

David Fife said...

I have heard that, but I don't care to change it in my personal writing. I don't think it is that big a deal. Sometimes when I design stuff for work, I have to be more conscious about it, and go with what they want. I think it is to save paper/space or something. You would be surprised how much those spaces add up :) Just kidding.

Cassie

Shari said...

Did Jen tell you that at work? I learned it there too.

Sara said...

This is new to me as well! Hi Steffani, this is Sara. I am Tiffany's sister-in-law. I check your blog every once in a while, and enjoy your posts, recipes, random stuff, etc.

Tiff said...

Had no idea. And since you posted this I've tried to not double space after a period and I have yet to break the habit.